Wednesday, March 4, 2009

On The Road

So, for my Children of Whitman class we're reading Kerouac's On The Road which I have never read before. This is odd because my wife and several of my friends absolutely love the book. I'm really behind in my reading right now--I'm supposed to be finished with it, but I'm only about a sixth of the way through at the moment. It'll be a late night.

Anyway, I was reading about Sal's first encounter with Dean once he arrives in Denver, and Kerouac takes care to point out what a "ladies' man" (if you will) he is. So, knowing that Dean is based on Neal Cassady I decided to search for pictures of him online. I found this lovely picture of Cassady and Kerouac



I also found this picture of several of the beats, including Ginsberg in the middle with the glasses


It was on this second site that I found this link: Poem of the Week
I think I might try to keep up a poem of the week sort of thing too, but this particular site is neat because there are some relatively lesser-known poems and poets there, or, at least, relatively antiquated in many circumstances.

Anyway, my curiosity about Cassady's appearance being satiated, I must return to the book.

~N.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment