“The only thing we do not find [in dreams] is what can to some extent reconcile an educated man to life—scientific and artistic enjoyment.”
~Eduard von Hartmann (quoted in Freud’s Interpretation of Dreams)
“He’s dreaming of his lost love;
A goat with no horns, hooves, and hide.”
~Abayomi Animaschaun, “Anecdote of a Goat”
Just the other day I heard tell
of an earless goat.
Just two holes in his head
you could see straight through to the other side.
Cost five bucks but I had to
see for myself.
The goat held still
well enough, and I looked
as through a kaleidoscope
and saw the crystalline fragments
of colors in the pokeberry and bramble
lining the fence on the far side of the goat.
And as the scope turned
the coruscant pieces
wended their way into a new
shape, the form of some past
life—or some inverted version
of this one. In the summer heat
of the open field
I felt the grass gather around me
and rise up through the cleft
in my feet. I could smell
the familiar stench of beasts
like it was part of me,
like everything I gathered into myself—
the great hoard of vines,
of briars and berries,
thistle and grape leaves
and amorous imaginings—
was the ample fortunes of animal dreams.
What great prophet could boast
visions from the ears of a goat?
Not kneeling before green fire
in the mouth of a cave,
nor fasting in the adyton,
a farmer can glory in great divinations
knowing only that the substance
of the dreams of beasts is perpetual consumption.
Consumption of art and science
reconciles man to life
but not the life of dreams and something
beyond life, the lost love of the intangible.
Cassandra’s curse was never to be believed,
but mine is the terror of not saying
anything worth believing.
The nightmare of myopia
is that the goat’s dreams
are vaster than my own.

This poem owes a great debt to James Dickey in many regards... perhaps too great a debt.
ReplyDelete