Monday, September 27, 2010

Husbandry

Spring
In terrifying thorny cases
thistle grows
with purple spring blooms
in great patches
no sweat or toil brings to bear.

The sight of ivy
and sumac recalls the itch
on my arms.
Ancient hedera pollutes water;
animals no longer drink
or embrace with impunity.




Revelation
If I set this field on fire with one
match and watch spiders
fly and rats race
to where snakes wait
with open mouths,

if I fear for goats and cows,
dream them devoured
trying to clear the field
I won’t go near,

will I then see the creek
and stand on its banks
in the vast paradise
of sycamores?




Cupidity
Young boys lust for fire,
a pile of gasoline and a bic
to take care of it all. 

They would steal and scorch an acre
by the creek, swing
from vines, and land bellyup
in leavings of cattle
from upstream
and be lucky
to survive the depth.




Avarice
Covetous field
of neighboring green,
more or less natural
to be cleaned,
trimmed by herds
gathered by the creek
that can no longer
glut themselves
on balding plane.




Penance
In winter the creek is
no place for old pets.
The cancerous hound
cannot be buried
in clay iced over. 

The mare, undernourished,
dies on the Sabbath
beside my car. 

We share an age,
23,
and I too am growing
cold and overtired
of slogging home
on ice-packed snow,
feet never touching
solid ground.




Fall
Marked for defeat, unable
to convince scorched earth
to yield, the labor
of husbandry never ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment