In addition to the Rita Riddle Scholarship, I have just found out today that I won second prize in the Nan Lacy Chapbook Contest with a very similar batch of poems. The submission was just about the same except for the Nan Lacy poems were re-revised and were missing what I thought was the weakest one from the Rita Riddle submission. I had eleven pages for the Rita Riddle contest, but the Nan Lacy contest required ten, hence the cut of one poem--I think "Improvisation on Sliding Down" was the one I cut. I'm not sure how good of a poem it is for someone who has not actually heard the song; in fact, I'm not convinced it's even that good if you have heard the song. I'm apt to think it's just derivative of Geoffrey Hill, and I shudder to even use his name in conjunction with it because it certainly, regardless of whatever merits it might have, is not on Hill's level. Regardless, I won second place in the competition. I wouldn't be surprised if only two people submitted, though. (This is not fishing for compliments--there really is a good chance only two people submitted.) Anyway, I get some money I think for placing, and I will be reading some of the poems at the big student reading Monday night (April 19th, I think). All students who won any creative writing awards this semester (with the exception of the Rita Riddle award because it's a different kind of contest) will be reading from their works. I hope I'm allowed to tell stories about my poems. Readings are so much better when the writers tell stories.
where is this happening? on campus? i owuld love to hear the winning poets! if not...that's why you've got a blog to share the back stories!hehe
ReplyDelete