Treading
You tread the tail of the tiger.
It does not bite you.
Success.
~The I Ching
unable to rightly read lines
like a tabloid horoscope.
No burning tyger’s tail to tread
and not to lose life
for the sake of success.
Sate gaping mouth with gobbets
of lamb’s flesh from immortal
hand, discord for the sake of blood debt.
To what end, Prophet?
Order ruined at the toss of three coins
inscribed with Lincoln’s face—
Cheap for not using Washington or Sacajawea.
Like Cain unforgiven for improper sacrifice.
At what price, success?
___________________________
It was a staring contest
You and I locked eyes, waiting—
who would look away
or smile first?
And I cannot remember the color,
knowing, you know, in my mind
they’re brownish, with a golden lining,
something about clouds.
Anyway, there we were,
fighting in our silent way,
I knowing I should give way
to the worker in you, even though
I know I must have seen brown
and gold in there somewhere—
cannot even remember the freckles.
Do you have freckles? And we were fighting,
over what? Over who could remain
in the upper room. You won, I lost,
banished to the basement among the unclean
clothes and dog-destroyed couches
in the good company of magazines
of older poets, the virtuous dead.
_____________________________________
Improvisation on “Sliding Down” by Edgar Meyer, Mike Marshall, and Bela Fleck
Triune variations on spheric hymn,
begin pianic simplicity and pass
strings like communal grail.
Strive to impress, lord
of the banjo, flaunt instrumentation
equally primeval and avant-garde.
Double-helix of sound and motion:
compose, recompose, sing or play
into existence catalyst of nascent life.
_____________________________
The Greenhouse
I have never dared to enter the greenhouse.
I have lived here for nearly six years, knowing all along
it existed just over there, beside that brick building.
You can see its vents or fans, whatever they are, protruding
from every other window into my world, asking to be a part
of my world, portals from one place to a place entirely other.
The thing is, I don’t even know if I’m allowed in there.
I could go through its doors and pretend to take samples or notes,
but I am separate, from another plane, a world of meat, or people
and darkened buildings, of fluorescent light and low humidity,
of imperfection—I wouldn’t even know how to pretend properly.
I could say I’m lost, and that would be true. Lost in the Greenhouse—
would make a good title for a book—already done. Lost, then,
in the garden, out of place and out of people, out of time.
Surely someone tends the garden, subdues over-reaching vines,
keeps two worlds from colliding, windows from bursting, resisting
temptation to take one home and spread—what is it?—
beauty? perfection? No. Unnatural productivity.

Ooh, the first poem. It wins. "treading." Yes.
ReplyDelete